1. Well, there was school. That was school.
2. In our time before our cultural excursion, Sasha and I looked for insoles for her shoes at a kiosk in an alley near Smolny that Bryan tried to describe to us but we could not find, alas.
3. Our cultural excursion was to the Юсуповский Palace where I had to check my bag and pay 100r (about $4) for the privilege to take photographs. So, naturally, I took a lot of photographs to get my money's worth (because I never usually pay to take photographs. I have mastered the subtle shooting at the hip method to take pictures of church ceilings and such) -- and, at least, they are pictures I think Nunni will enjoy a lot. So those will go up sometime this weekend.
4. On our way to the palace, I saw a Globus bus followed by a large flock of 50 - 70 year old Americans with cameras around their necks and I thought of some of you people.
5. Post-excursion, Grace and Emma and I decided to get a little coffee because we were exhausted and then head over to the metro.... after caffeine we were looking at a map and realized that there was a Юсуповский Palace and a Юсуповский Garden, nowhere near each other really and we had thought we were in the garden which is must closer to the metro than the palace is.... so we unsuccessfully tried to hail a cab for 20 minutes then decided what the hell and walked but then we, well, we weren't lost as we knew where we were the whole time, well, most of the time.... we just were heading in the opposite direction we wanted to go.... multiple times. Well, let's just say that we now know Садовая Street very intimately and we bonded a lot along the way and decided that our 2 hours of wandering was karma for none of us getting lost or confused so far in terms of navigating.
6. And then, when I returned home, thoroughly exhausted, Olga said that Elena (program direction assistant lady) called today and asked if she and Misha and Katya would be interested in keeping me for the fall and she said of course, but only if I want to stay. So, she asked me: Do you want to stay? ............... do I want to stay??? What kind of a question is THAT? Mom, no need to send along more salt water taffy and books about Massachusetts for other phantom host families. Oh my god, I'm so excited, you have no idea. So, until January 12th, I will officially be living here, on Dostoevskovo Street. (!!!!!!!!) I guess now I really can start referring to this apartment as my home when in Russia (don't worry, I haven't forgotten Massachusetts.... yet).
7. Oh, and Russia lost to Spain tonight. 0-3. As we like to say here, ужас! Кошмар! Oh well.
GOOD NIGHT.
Friday, June 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Your little Russian home!! Super cute!!
Your life sounds positively exciting and I love reading all about it. I like picturing you on Russian streetcorners and in little coffeeshops and such... Love!!
Oh and p.s., this is LA Erin, not the Erin who is in the same city as you, unfortunately. :o(
Post a Comment