I've had some days at Udelnaya where I have found absolutely nothing and just gotten frost bitten feet and exhausted. But this Sunday, Lauren and I went for our first Udelnaya-outing of the semester and had luck like I have never had before. The sun was shining like crazy, and both Lauren and I agreed we had never seen more people out with blankets on the icy, frozen mud. It was crowded as hell, and we both made some great purchases including, but not limited to, the items in the still lifes below.
Dress #1. I've never had luck with clothes at Udelnaya before, but I did well this Sunday. It's flowery and vintagey and reminds me of something my friend Grace from this summer would wear. Looking at the label it looks like some collaboration between an Asian and Russian clothing company, especially as it is called "Дружба" ("Friendship").
Dress #2. You only get a tiny little look at this one, as the full effect of the dress remains to be a surprise for our "Glam Rock" themed party coming up this weekend. I'm certain you can see just how special this dress is though judging by the fabric exactly like that dress Nunni had in the 80s that I cut up and made that tank top out of and wore to the Halloween dance in 9th grade, and, of course, by the label deeming it "HIGH FASHION."
Little tin sports car #1. What a great color, plus my favorite number, look at that. Plus a good old St. Petersburg metro station for sentimentality next year.
Tins #1 and #2. The first tin I got, on the left, was the most expensive as it's the oldest. It featured a little drawing of good Russian pioneer school children. The second tin, with the dog, was also clearly necessary. I also got me some guitar strings for my breaking old guitar that I have yet to learn how to play and a snazzy ten ruble coin in my change from purchasing the flowery dress. Someone told me once that ten ruble coins aren't legal currency anymore, but it's ok, I was planning on keeping it anyway.
Old photographs #1 - #5, plus an old postcard. You know I can't resist this shit.
Hand-knitted slippers, pairs #1 & #2. AMI LI and KAREN BARTELS LOOK! LOOK! I found that same woman as last time by some miracle amongst the blankets and blankets of people and she had three more pairs of slippers for sale! Lauren and I bought all three between the two of us, Lauren keeping one pair, and me just stocking up because I love them and this woman so much. I talked to her more this time and she told me she makes three pairs every week and sells them every weekend, so clearly Lauren and I are going back to find her again and again and again..... maybe we'll be able to commission her to make us more in specific colors if we get to know her well enough! She's amazing.
Tins #3 - #10. Ok, so I went a little nuts here. First it started with the roundish little tin (upper left) that I found for 10r and got so excited about because it reminded me of the "Геркулес" ("Gerkules" = "Hercules" in Russian) tin and sugar pot in our kitchen that's part of the apartment that I love to photograph and was sad already to have to leave in June.... so I bought that and was all happy with myself and then. I found. The motherload. A woman was selling a set of seven of these very tins for the bargain price of 120r. Well..... I had to buy all of them. Mom and Dad, I bet you guys just can't WAIT to carry all this shit home for me when you come in May, right?!
And here we are for my Sunday 3/15/09 self portrait, Lauren is wearing her awesome green rain boots she got for 70r. Fabulous, no?Moral of the story: we are two savvy bargain shoppers.
1 comment:
I saw this ans missed the awesome bounty of udelnaya so much!! the tappuchki are such nice colors - very matroschka-esque.
Post a Comment