More pictures from the event are up on my site.The party was deemed a success for the following reasons:
1. no one got vomit-sick from an excess of alcohol,
2. no one stole anything,
3. the neighbors never asked us to quiet down, let alone call the police on us,
4. and the only people who broke anything at the party were..... the people who live in the apartment. Lauren broke a plate trying to put it on a counter out of the way so it would be "safe" and just, well, missed the counter, and I broke a glass when trying to clean up a little bit so the morning after would be less disastrous. It fell out of the drying rack when I opened the cabinet, and I stood very still while a certain someone cleaned up the little bits of glass on the floor around my bare feet.
I was also impressed by how much people got into the theme. Of course, this isn't Wellesley College, so everyone wasn't all out in their weirdo costumes like my friends get into our themed parties. We had some people in street clothes, but we also had a fabulous bouncer, Radhika, from Smith College, who helped implement the NO EYELINER, NO ADMITTANCE policy. Some radicals crept in past her, but she got all the major slackers. What was the best part is apparently some people the next morning who are not used to wearing eyeliner regularly forgot to remove it and showed up for the excursion to the Dostoevsky Museum (I didn't go, as I went this summer) still looking pretty glamorous....
The most successful aspect of the party was though that it wasn't just all "Smolny assholes" (to use Lauren's phrase). We had a really nice mix of kids from my program, other ex-pats Lauren has collected in her year, and Russian friends that both Lauren and I have accumulated. I mean, it's pretty easy to convince everyone to come to a party when David Bowie is involved. Who doesn't love David Bowie?
No comments:
Post a Comment