Friday, April 10, 2009

Alexander Nevsky Lavra, take two, but this time with sun.

Sun sun sun sun sun sun sun sun sun sun sun sun sun sun!

!!!!!

It is amazing how much better than one little thing makes everything!


I was overwhelmed with joy this evening when I came out of my 16MM film class at 8:30PM and it was STILL bright out, the sun just starting to set over the Neva as I walked across the Lt. Schmidt bridge towards the Vasileostrovskaya Metro. All I could think about how was when I used to walk over the Lt. Schmidt bridge in the other direction -- going to the Bobrinsky Palace, at 4:30PM for my Bakhtin class last semester -- it was already as dark as the middle of the night. And now it is still light out when I am LEAVING class, oh, how lovely, so wonderful. I already feel less tired, and more energetic, if you haven't noticed I've started fitting more into each of my days again because they feel longer simply because they have more light in them.

In the vein of fitting in more things than usual, yesterday, after getting out of разговор class, the sun was out and I decided to go to the Alexander Nevsky Lavra again, having only been once before on that day with Carrie on October when it rained like crazy. It had been beautiful and peaceful even in the grey shittiness that was the middle of October, so take that and multiply it times a billion and you've got how beautiful and peacful the Lavra is in nice weather.


I took photos of that same old graveyard in the main part of the monastery, and then I actually, finally went into the main cemetery part and saw the famous graves of Dostoevsky, Muggorsky, Tchaikovsky, etc..... For more photos from my time at the Lavra, go here. I also shot a roll of color film in the Holga that will be up eventually. It was just so beautiful, I would like to go back when the weather is even better, and the flowers are out. I can't wait. Visitors, be prepared to be taken there!

No comments: