I watched a different movie every night this week.
Okay, maybe this fact isn't so interesting to you, but it's interesting to me as it is probably the biggest highlight of this week since this week mostly just involved staying in and sitting on my bed and focusing on not getting strep throat like everyone and their mom (our СМИ teacher also has strep now! we didn't have class yesterday! we're killing off all the RSL professors!).....
SUNDAY: The 10th Victim (for the fabulous fashion)
MONDAY: House of Wax (for the "scary" 3d effects)
TUESDAY: Man of Marble (for film class)
WEDNESDAY: Rushmore (for the 813th time and for Bakhtin class, actually)
TONIGHT: Daisies (in film class itself)
So, I really liked Daisies. Not everyone agreed with me. It's an insane, avant-garde, Dadaist film without a plot that is too artsy for its own good, but it's also kind of funny. And really visually appealing. And it involved a long, really interesting conversation in class about what makes a film feminist or not.... just putting a woman in a typically male role (ex: Kill Bill) doesn't necessarily make it feminist... does a feminist film have to have a female director to have an accurate female perspective (ex: Themla & Louise).... when a woman becomes an agent but because men made her that way (ex: Monster) is she still really a woman....? Emma, Lauren and I came to the conclusion after class that a highly feminist film and, perhaps the best film of all time, would definitely be A League of Their Own. There's no crying in baseball. Hell yes. But it was an interesting conversation, made me feel like I was back at good ol' Wellesley College for Women who Will again.... someone even used the phrase "heteronormative" and I felt right at home. Mm.
Oh, and speaking of Wellesley College... SUCK ON THIS, JANNA.
So that's it for now. Maybe I'll try to keep up this movie watching pattern all weekend. I mean, I did take out The Heart of a Dog from the 416 Office lending library....
Thursday, December 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i hate you. and hillary. but good for that other woman-??
Post a Comment