Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Blarrgghghhlkladdkllllllllllllllllllllll.................

My throat feels slightly better, I'm curled up in bed though, drinking tea and watching the 1988 movie The Heart of a Dog. It's so good! And beautiful! And sepia! I love it. The guy's calming smooth monotone voice that narrates the thoughts of the dog when he's still a dog is exactly how I heard it when reading the story.... and the film even quotes some older films, and has clips from older films in them that I understand thanks to film class. Oh, just look at those connections. At one point some of the characters go to see Mr. West in the Land of the Bolsheviks. Hey, hey!

Also, the dog who plays Sharik in the film looks exactly like the dog I photographed (twice) in Pskov....... and like every other stray dog in Russia...... see the comparison?

(the dog in Собачье сердце)


(the Pskov dog, fall 2008)


(the Pskov dog, summer 2008)


Ahh, this movie is so good. The novella by Bulgakov is so good. Bulgakov is so good. I love that man. I need to go back to Moscow just to make a pilgrimage to his grave and all the places in The Master and Margarita.

He's so attractive too, in that early-20th-century-Russian-writer kind of way:


Also, according to Wikipedia: "The Master and Margarita novel is said to have been read by Mick Jagger and influenced his writing of the song "Sympathy for the Devil". Just look at that!

And did you know there is a planet named after Bulgakov?

So, I am going to back to do curling up and doing nothing after this long pointless entry.

No comments: